Makes approximately 10 tacos
- 1 package black bean tempeh – cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 package Las Mexicanas corn tortillas
- 1 teaspoon plain coconut yogurt per taco (approx 1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon Las Mexicanas Tomatillo salsa per taco (approx 1/4 cup)
- 8-10 medium sized breakfash radishes, pickled (see recipe below)
- 1/4 cup scallions or tropea onion tops, chopped
- 1/4 cup Black Sheep Vegan Cheese veta
- 1 head of butter lettuce, or greens of your choice – whole or roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-2 limes cut into wedges
- Optional: 1 avocado, sliced or cubed, sliced jalapenos, chopped cilantro
“Carnitas” spice rub
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon grated onion (or dehydrated)
- 1-2 garlic cloves, grated (or 1 teaspoon dehydrated)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Pinch of ground chilis
- Pinch of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons of himalayan salt (or to taste)
Mix all ingredients until well combined. Let sit for 5 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Generously rub tempeh with Carnitas blend. Place tempeh on a lightly oiled baking pan, and bake for 10-12 minutes at 375c, flipping once or until tempeh is crispy and golden.
Quick Pickled Radishes
- 8-10 medium radishes
- 1/4c apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cane sugar or agave
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Optional: 1 fresh chili, chopped; 1 garlic clove, minced
Mix until well combined. Add radishes and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes. You can substitute radish for cucumbers, shaved carrots, or even thinly sliced onions. Play to your favorites!
Place a dry skillet (preferably cast iron) on medium heat. Place tortillas in skillet for approximately 30 seconds per side, or until they become soft and pliable.
Build your tacos by placing greens on the tortilla. Top with 1-2 slices of tempeh, sliced avocado, and pickled radishes. Spread 1 teaspoon of coconut yogurt and tomatillo salsa, top with scallions (optional cilantro and jalapeno), and sprinkle generously with veta cheese. Serve with lime wedge on the side.